Saturday, July 18, 2009

Come again? I don't think I heard that quite right...

My 8 year old only likes to wear a few of her clothes. The vast majority of what she owns languishes in her dresser unworn until it's time to pass them on to her younger sister. Being the cruel mom that I am, I sometimes will let the laundry go for awhile (or at least hers) in an effort to force her to wear some of the other items.

This morning, Stretch and I looked up from the couch to see her carrying her clothes hamper down the stairs. At first, I thought that was a hint that she wanted her laundry done. Instead, she said, "Well, since you haven't washed my clothes, I decided to do it myself."

What?! Did I hear that right?

I hopped right up and helped her get started in the laundry room. While I supervised and reached the things she couldn't quite get, she did her own laundry. She cleaned out the dryer vent when it was time to put the wet clothes into the dryer. She put the clothes into the dryer and later folded them herself.

And I thought finally getting them potty trained rocked my world.

5 comments:

Malia Kell Photography said...

that's absolutely fantastic.....now if only I could get my husband to do that!

Amy said...

You are golden, Mama!

Meredithitis said...

that's awesome! I'm going to have to take Eliza's favorite bras and see if it works. (She doesn't have favorite clothes, but she insists on wearing bras 24 hours a day). Weird, but if it gets her to do laundry...

Big Sis is industrious!

She of the Sea said...

That is so amazing! I have dreams of that day...

Guard Wife said...

It seems like they think it's "fun" at that age. Boy, oh boy, are THEY in for a shocker!