Saturday, March 10, 2007

Her royal crankiness

I haven't posted in awhile so thought it was about time. However, there isn't much to write about except how crotchety I've become. So... You've all seen that sign: "I can only please one person a day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either." Let's just say you may as well write off the whole next year! It started around the time my Marine deployed (for a year!) right after we moved from Asia to North Carolina (no culture shocks there). Then, there was the episode at the Exchange parking lot: I was getting my 2-year old out of her carseat when 2 Marines walked by in all their blue verbal glory. Now, there was a time when I wouldn't have said anything or I would have agonized about what to say. This day, there was no thinking, only reflex. I shot out of the side of my minivan and snapped, "Hey! Watch your mouth!" Then, when the offending Marine mumbled, "Sorry, ma'am" instead of thinking, "Ma'am? I'm not old enough to be a ma'am," I thought, "Damn straight, you better call me "ma'am," you little heathen." I guess it's true, as my older daughter keeps reminding me, I'm just a mean old woman.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Yeah, I'm catching some of that mean old woman disease out here in California too. I recently chided some young guy for encouraging his giant dog to run off-leash in the children's park as I strolled by with the babies. When he didn't seem impressed with my momness, I reminded him of the legal issues at hand. Ever so often, the lawyer still rears her ugly head.