Tuesday, February 12, 2008

And then there were four...

It's hard to believe that Stretch has only been home a week. It feels like so much has happened, yet nothing has really happened, all at once. Mainly, it feels like he was never away.

Granted, we haven't gotten back into a normal work routine with him yet. And that's fine by me. It has been FABULOUS to have another parent around. Especially when I came down with something. I think Guard Wife has a point: they probably do bring all sorts of lovely germs back with them AND our bodies finally say "enough already, I'm run down and I'm going to bed now that there's back-up!"

Other than that little hiccup (I'm better but still not 100%), things have been really good. We've had a wonderful reunion. The girls have loved having their Daddy back. And he's been good about not letting them run wild. In fact, he's been the primary disciplinarian for the past week, a role I'm more than happy to relinquish! I'll admit that it's a bit galling that they (still) listen to him much better than to me, but I'm going to chalk that up to them being around me so much more that I probably just sound like the teacher from the Peanuts cartoons.

We're probably still in the honeymoon phase. But that's okay. I'll take it as long as it lasts!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - a whole week!

Kids listen to daddies. My hubby never went away and the kids STILL listen to him better. I think it is because I'm the constant buzz and he's the new tone that's easier to pick up.

So glad that the transition is so smooth. Perfect timing for you to get a little rest (sick is bad, but I'm of the mindset that a little extra bedtime for mommies is always good).

Congrats!

Keri said...

Hurray that he's home! Isn't it great?

J has been home 2 days now and tonight he put the kids to bed! I went and flipped on the TV and hardly knew what to do with myself.

Ahhhh, the joys of co-parenting!

Enjoy your homecoming :)

Vypergirl said...

Mine are the same way...Daddy tells them what to do and they do it. I ask them to do it until I am blue in the face, or daddy speaks up.

Glad you are feeling better!!

A said...

Ahh, the way it's meant to be! Glad you have someone to watch over you while you're sick! I'm single, and I know how miserable the trip to get Sprite crackers and popsicles can be! So happy for you . . .

Amanda

Anonymous said...

I'm SO GLAD he is home!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I remember the simple pleasure of being able to run to the corner convenience store at 10:30 at night when I realized we were low on milk...rather than trying to rush there before or after school the following day. It IS nice to have another adult around to field questions or just be present.

Yea! So glad you're enjoying this time & you're feeling better. :)