Wednesday, April 02, 2008

In honor of April being Month of the Military Child...

I am a
Marine Brat
My hometown is nowhere, my friends are everywhere.
I grew up with the knowledge that home
is where the heart is and the family..
with no dependency on the dwelling.
Mobility is my way of life.
Some would wonder about roots.
yet they are as deep and strong as the mighty oak.
I sink them quickly, absorbing all an area offers
and hopefully, give enrichment in return.
Travel has taught me to be open.
Shaking hands with the universe,
I find brotherhood in all men.
Farewells are never easy.
Yet, even in sorrow comes some strength and ability
to face tomorrow with anticipation...
And if when I leave one place
I feel that half my world is left behind, I also know
that the other half is waiting to be met.
Friendships are formed in hours and kept for decades.
I will not grow up with anyone but will mature with many.
Be it inevitable that paths part, there is constant hope
that they will meet again.
Love of country, respect and pride
fill my being when Old Glory passes in review.
When I stand to honor the flag
so also do I stand to honor all Marines, and
most especially, to the parents whose life created mine.
Because of this
I have shared in the rich heritage of the Marine life.
~Anonymous
*******
If you haven't already seen this film, I highly recommend BRATS: Our Journey Home. It will especially resonate if you grew up in the military, as I did. It's narrated by Kris Kristofferson (an Air Force Brat). I had the opportunity to attend a screening on base where the director Donna Musil (also a military brat) was available to answer questions.

1 comment:

wendy said...

I did not grow up in the military and sometimes I worry for my kids (is it really natural to walk home from school past a group of army guys crawing on the ground with guns in their hands?) But mostly I see how strong their bonds are together and I'm glad their resilient!

I wonder if Brats is available in Netflix