Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Belated 233rd Birthday, Marines!

Better late than never! We celebrated the Marine Corps' 233rd birthday Sunday night. (The actual birthday was Monday, November 10.) One of the beautiful things of moving so much is that I get to recycle dresses because I'm the only one who knows how old it is or how many times I may have worn it!


The program for the evening had a page with quotations about Marines. Last year, I didn't attend a ball but provided a few of my favorite quotes. I have a new one to add to the list:


They told (us) to open up the Embassy, or "we'll blow you away." And then they looked up and saw the Marines on the roof with these really big guns, and they said in Somali, "Igaralli ahow," which means "Excuse me, I didn't mean it, my mistake."
--Karen Aquilar, in the U.S. Embassy; Mogadishu, Somalia, 1991

5 comments:

loqi said...

Looking good! I chose a red dress this year too. :)

The Mrs. said...

you guys look great and boy is HE TALL!

Anonymous said...

This is a great picture. Good to see you still have some books around.

Jody said...

Great picture. I love the red dress. You look fabulous! Do you still have that black/bluish number with the great tummy hiding material?

liberal army wife said...

nice dress! yeah, tall... wow. liked the quote - wonder if the translation should be "ooops, aw crap... um. never mind".

LAW