Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Relocation bonus

Today, I managed to find a benefit to our new home. I had a doctor's appointment, my first since moving here. And you know what? I saw an actual, honest-to-God doctor! And that wasn't all. She actually took the time to listen to me, ask questions, make suggestions, and discuss what the next few steps should be. I was floored and left her office with a positive feeling. It's been a long time since I actually liked the person responsible for my health care. Too long.

Now for the back story. The last 2 duty stations we were at, my PCM (primary care manager) was a nurse practitioner. In theory, I don't have a problem with this unless I have a serious illness but I'm generally pretty healthy. I said in theory. Because I'm sure there are some wonderful nurse practitioners out there. I just wouldn't count the 2 I had as being among them. Both were extremely condescending and dismissive toward me. And for those of you who know me personally, you know how much I hate that! Every time it happened, I wanted to scream at those women that I probably had more education and a higher IQ than they did so they should stop treating me like an idiot and just listen to my concerns for 2 minutes.

3 tours back, the doctor I saw the most was an OB (it was when I was having L'il Sis). We were at a duty station where we saw civilian doctors. And although the OB wasn't my PCM, she was who I saw most of the time due to the situation and short time we were there. I wasn't an interesting enough case for the her though, so more often than not, she was out of the exam room practically before I had a chance to open my mouth to ask a question.

So you can see why I'm so appreciative to have gotten lucky this go-round. It was about time!

4 comments:

Jody said...

Glad to hear a positive spin!

The Mrs. said...

see and people think that if the govt provided everyone free healthcare the world would be a better place. They have no idea what they would be in for half the time! Our nurse practictioner here is much the same time, always running late, always blowing symptoms off, all in all its always a run around.

YAH for your REAL LISTENING doctor!

Brando said...

I know exactly how you feel. I'm a military brat turned mil spouse so of course I've been Tricare "blessed" my entire life. Not until I was 26 did I ever see a civilian doctor, and that was only because they were full at the hosptial on base. I never knew what real world health care was like. It's been so nice to make an appointment only a day in advance, to be seen at my scheduled appointment time, and to be able to get a prescription filled over the phone. And to see the same doctor every time- I didn't know that possible until now!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the condescending NPs are a military thing. I've had the very same problem.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new and improved health care situation, though! :)