Tuesday, May 05, 2009

"You're 5 now, so...."

I'm getting a lot of mileage out this little phrase lately. And will continue to shamelessly use it for as long as it works!

L'il Sis has a bad habit of not wanting to do things for herself. It's a trend that started in her infancy. While her sister happily grabbed her bottle or sippy cup at an early age to hold it herself, L'il Sis refused to do so even when prompted (by us putting her hands on the bottle!) when she was a year old! So it was not a big surprise that she has refused to try to buckle her own seat belt. She has said that she was too little and couldn't do it. Never mind the fact that she hadn't even tried. My nephew who is a year younger than her can accomplish this little task. So she turned 5 on Sunday. On Monday morning, I told her she was 5 now, so she should at least try. She was very proud of herself the first time she did it completely by herself. And while she sometimes needs help getting the seat belt in place, at least she's trying!

Then, tonight at bedtime, she tried to tell me how much more comfortable my bed and pillows were compared to her own. Uh huh. After pointing out that her bed and pillow were also comfortable, I also said that now that she's 5, she should really try to stay in her own bed all night every night. Yeah. I don't know how well that will work, but it's worth a shot!

No comments: